…Being a Collection of Musings on just about anything I feel like talking about.

Monday 15 October 2007

My bulletproof, patented Book System®.

…Being an exposition of an organisation.
I keep three books on the go at any one time. The partition of my reading into three reflects the organisation of my life: the first book is fiction: it is read as a leisure activity and enjoyed in such hours as are designated as such. The second is technical reading; recent books to have occupied this honourable chair are SICP, Feynman's Lectures on Computation, and Fowler's Refactoring. This element of the triumvirate is primarily a reflection of my occupation, being as I am a programmer things computational. The third, and final, trivium of the literary partitional trivia is toilet reading. As do so many others I enjoy a good trip'te'de'jacks, and waiting for me there is a book to occupy my mind during my stay. Typically this is non-fiction, but a prime requirement is that it be relaxed in subject concomittant with the relaxing nature of its commodal abode. An example to illuminate perhaps: at the moment my toilet reading is “The Making of ‘Dark Side of the Moon’”. Now I'll be the first to admit this whole partition is far from regimental, there's often a fourth book floating around which tends to alterate between fiction and non-fiction. At the moment the position is held by “The Trial” by Kafka. Following on from the past post I figured I'd close with a stacktrace of my current reading:

Leisure
  • Started Sophie's Choice
    • Started Bonfire of the Vanities
    • Finished Bonfire of the Vanities
    • Started East of Eden
      • Started American Psycho
      • Finished American Psycho
      • Started Brave New World
        • Started Ham on Rye
Technical
  • Started SICP
    • Started Refactoring
    • Ended Refactoring
    • Started Feynman Lectures on Computation
    • Ended Feynman Lectures on Computation
Commodal
  • Started The Making of ‘Dark Side of the Moon’
Bric-a-Brac
  • Started The Trial

Also a big thank you to my darling girlfriend who gave me the most amazing present of two books on Friday.

You're the Best :-)

No comments: